|Dr. Alan Wishneff D.D.S.
Restorative Dentistry / Oral Health
October 26, 2015
A good smile can help almost anyone’s confidence grow. A confident smile can help people express their true feelings and emotions. However many people feel like there is something wrong with their smile. But there are ways to correct problems in one’s smile and that is though cosmetic dentistry.
Common Cosmetic Dental Issues
There are many different types of cosmetic dentistry issues. Some of the most common issues are crooked teeth,
chipped or worn teeth, gaps between teeth, stained teeth, missing teeth, a gummy smile and even old metal restorations. Most of these issues are cosmetic but some of them can cause functional issues in the mouth. While missing teeth may not look pretty, they can affect how you chew your food or even how you speak. Missing teeth can cause the bone beneath the teeth to deteriorate.
Cosmetic Dentistry Treatments
There are many different techniques that cosmetic dentists use to fix dental problems. The following are a few of them.
- Invisalign – This helps straighten your teeth and align the bite using clear, plastic aligners. These are considered a virtually invisible orthodontics system.
- Porcelain veneers – Veneers are a thin shell of natural porcelain that is fitted over the front surface of a tooth to help conceal flaws in a tooth. These cover up stains, crookedness, chips, uneven length and other cosmetic issues.
- Teeth Whitening – Brightening the teeth helps strengthen one’s confidence in their smile. Teeth whitening can be done professionally in the dentist office or the dentist may provide an at home kit that will whiten the teeth in the comfort of your own home.
- Dental Implants – Dental implants are used to replace missing teeth. These are a durable, permanent, and natural looking solution. Implants are secured to the jaw directly. This will help stable chewing and speaking problems.
- Tooth-Colored Restorations – Older metal tooth crowns or fillings are not the same color as the surrounding tooth. A lot of times they are dark and stand out. Now there are tooth-colored fillings and dental crowns that are matched to the color of your natural teeth.
If you have any concerns about your dental health or smile, talk things over with your dentist. They will help figure out which of the many procedures can help fix your problems. Your dentist can help restore your smile.