|Dr. Alan Wishneff D.D.S.
Restorative Dentistry / Oral Health
October 30, 2016
Halloween is here and that means it is a time for pumpkins, fun costumes and a lot of candy. However all that candy your child gets as a treat can be harmful to their over health and their dental health. The following are a few tips to help your child’s mouth stay healthy during Halloween and into the next year.
- Try eating the candy or other sugary foods with meals or shortly after a meal. During a meal, saliva production is increased. This helps to cancel out acids that are produced by bacteria in the mouth and helps to wash away food particles.
- Stay away from hard candies and other sweets that stay in the mouth for a long period of time. The longer sugary foods stay in the mouth the longer the teeth are subject to their acids. The teeth have an increased risk of tooth decay.
- Avoid sticky candies. Sticky candies tend to stick to the teeth. The stickier the candy, the longer time it takes for it to be washed away by saliva. Again this increases the risk of tooth decay. Some sticky candies are taffy and gummy bears.
- Drink lots of water. Drinking fluoridated water can help prevent tooth decay. If you prefer drinking bottled water, try to find those that are fluoridated.
- It is always a good idea to maintain a healthy diet. The body is a complex and interconnected machine. The foods you choose to eat can affect the general health and that of your teeth and gums.
- Avoid drinking beverages with added sugar. These beverages include soda, sports drinks, energy drinks or flavored waters. Teeth that constantly come in contact with sugary beverage are at a higher risk of tooth decay.
- Start chewing sugar-free gum. Chewing sugar-free gum for about 20 minutes after a meal helps to reduce tooth decay. Chewing gum increases the saliva flow and this helps to wash out food and neutralize acid produced by dental plaque bacteria.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day with fluoride toothpaste. It is also advised to change your toothbrush every three or four months. When a toothbrush becomes worn or frayed it does not do a good job of cleaning the teeth.
- Floss between the teeth daily. Decay-causing bacteria can get between the teeth were a toothbrush can’t reach. Flossing helps to remove the plaque and food particles left between the teeth and under the gum line.
- Visit your dentist at least twice a year for your regular dental cleaning. Besides the cleanings tour dentist can spot any problems early enough before it gets out of hand.
By following some or all of these tips, you and your child can have a fun filled Halloween and still maintain a healthy mouth.
For more information about this topic or any other dental topic, contact Dr.Wishneff at [email protected]or call (561) 488-3111. Dr. Alan Wishneff is a Boca Raton Dentist dedicated to bringing patients state-of-the-art dental care. As a cosmetic, family and restorative dentist, he helps patients enjoy a natural and healthy smile. He is trained in cosmetic dentistry, including porcelain veneers; advanced cosmetic bonding techniques; oral surgery; medical emergency procedures; advanced crown and bridge; advanced TMJ; implant dentistry; endodontics-root canals: utilization of most advanced dental materials. Dr, Wishneff and staff are dedicated to providing great smiles in Boca Raton for more than 30 years. After more than two decades of practicing dentistry in Boca Raton, Dr. Wishneff is more committed than ever to this community.